Wednesday, December 14, 2005


Shiduch Gone Awry
If you've been there, you know the feeling- wishing you were anywhere else, head pounding, 'what was the Shadchan thinking' running through your head, painful awkward silence, but not quite as painful as the incessant yawning- you should be able to relate in some way.
‘The Script’
A one scene non play
Written by
Vintage Jeans

Scene takes place in Guys car.

Boy: Hello
Girl: Hi
Boy: How are you doing?
Girl: Pretty good, Baruch Hashem. How are you?
Boy: Thank G-d, I’m ok. A little nervous.
Silence
Boy: My friend said you should start off a date with a joke. It helps to ease the tension. Want to hear a joke?
Girl: Sure.
Boy: A man walks into a pub, sits by the bar and says "I got the best Pollack joke." The bartender looks up, raises his hands and says “Now now buddy before you tell that joke you might want to know something.” He points to the other end of the bar to a huge muscular man that looked like a body builder and says, “see that guy? He’s Polish.” He points to the bouncer and says, “He’s Polish too and you know what, I happen to be Polish as well. You sure you still want to tell that joke?” The man says, “Hey no worries, I’ll tell it real slow.”
Girl: That’s not funny!
Boy: what do you mean? Don’t you get it?
Girl: Of course I get it. I just don’t see why you have to make fun of Polish people.
Boy: I’m not making fun of Polish people per say, you can say the joke regarding any ethnicity Blacks, Hispanics, even Chinese if you want. I just happened to choose Polish people.
Girl: I don’t understand why some people have to put other people down just to make themselves feel good. What happened to good old fashioned humor where things were genuinely funny?
Boy: Well I’m sorry if I offended you I was just trying to break the ice. If you have any joke you would like to say, go right ahead.
Girl: Ok. Why did the Klipah cross the road?
Boy: Why?
Girl: To get to the Sitra Acher.
Boy: Ha ha, that’s pretty funny.
Girl: Thanks.
Silence reins abound.
Boy: Do you like baseball?
Girl: What??
Boy: You know Baseball the sport. Do you like it?
Girl: What kind of question is that? I’m a girl.
Boy: So what are you saying girls can’t play ball?
Girl: I’m not saying that, I just think it’s a weird question, that’s all.
Boy: Well I’m sorry if my questions aren’t exactly top notch, but, hey, there isn’t exactly a script for these things. And it’s not like you’re doing all that much to help. I’m gasping for air here.
Girl: Naw it’s ok. You know what- I apologize. Yeah, I guess I like Baseball.
Awkward silence
Boy: This is awkward.
Girl: Well… do you like it?
Boy: Like what?
Girl: Baseball.
Boy: Oh sure, I love it.
Girl: Really, where do you play?
Boy: I don’t play.
Girl: What do you mean you don’t play. I thought you said that you loved it.
Boy: Oh, I do. I love watching baseball.
Girl: You mean you enjoy watching other people playing ball?
Boy: Yep.
Girl: Why?
Boy: Why what?
Girl: I mean how?
Boy: How?
Girl: How could you enjoy watching other people standing around on grass throwing around a ball? That sounds like the most boring thing in the world.
Boy: Oh it can be very exciting! The competition, energy, it can be quite exhilarating.
Girl: Oookay… I think I have a headache.
Boy: Don't worry, I got Advil in the glove compartment. Please, help yourself.
Girl: If you don’t mind, I think I would like to go home.
Boy: That bad?
Girl: Yep.
Heading back towards home.
Boy: Uhh… well I …
Girl cuts him off pointing to her head.
Girl: It hurts.
Boy: Sorry.
Outside girls home.
Girl: Thank you very much.
Boy: My pleasure. I hope you feel better.
Girl: Thanks. I think I’m starting to feel better already.
Boy: That’s good the Advil must be kicking in.
A slight grin creeps to the corners of girls’ lips.
Girl: I didn’t have any of the Advil. Have a good night.
As the car drives off, two young adults continue their journey along the mapless route hoping not to hit too many more speed bumps before stumbling unto their final destination.

The end

17 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was cute. u should try to use it on one of ur dates when the girls not talking. just make a picnic and pull it out and u guys could act it out. its a good idea no?

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

lol! School girl, you're to funny.
That sounds like a wonderful idea, but I think from now on it's only girls that can talk (at least I hope so).

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

I know, I know it's *too.

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

who taught u about the "too" with the double 'o'?

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

Manhattan Spelling keeps pointing it out. I'm still having trouble with it though.

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Suma said...

Hey Vintage.. it looks like this school girl can really read your mind.. i say you guys hook up.. both of your minds just have the same exact thought process it's scary ;-)

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

Procurater, I think it would be smarter if I didn't get into it.
Spelling, I think I get it, Manhattan like the big apple, the city that never sleeps.
And your right this school girl does seem realy on the ball.:-)

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

vintage, that comment by manhattan spelling was pretty funny. this blog thing is more fun than i thought. maybe i should start one. :)!!!!

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, I can't believe this is it, it is such a smart idea.

It was painful just reading it, this is exactly why shidduch dating sucks.

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Karl said...

Hey VJ, have you a hidden microphone in my car? Similar to some shidduch date convos I've had. {sigh}

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

o that is just painful, vintage.
oof.
difficult to read. i kinda wanted to jump in and squirt chocolate milk or something, to liven things up.
and Ano-not a very solid proof as to why 'shidduch dating sucks'.

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chava, unless you come with me on my dates you are not really gona get better proof. Call it an example if you want, it's just semantics, but I think you get the point.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

ok, ill come with you on ur next date, no prob :)

stam staaaaaaaam

seriously though, look at statistics/percentages and ull see that shidduch dating DOES work!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

I'm with Chava, as nerve racking and painful shiduch dating may be, I think it beats regular dating by a long shot!

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright Sabra, you're invited;it would definitly make things interesting.

I am not saying that shidduch dating does not work or that there is a better option; it is not a perfect system, but I don't see any other way. I agree with all of you, all I am saying is that I just don't like it. I am not into forced conversation with a total stranger. Usually I avoid awkward kinds of situations but if I want to get married I just gotta date... and yes I know it won't always be so bad; but probably only when I am with a guy I want to marry.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, she didn't like you. If you relayed everything honestly (gestures and facial expressions matter, and you couldn't possibly convey them here), seems like she was immature and impolite, could have been a bit more graceful. Also, occasional silence is OKEY! She was very very very young probably (teenager?). It's not shadhan's problem, no1 can predict such things. And trust me, I know how real bad shadhans can be: one was practically destroying me with words, took me months to recover from her verbal abuse. Sorry, I digress, but don't sweat this whole thing, it's gonna be just fine. - Fellow Scorpio.

 
At 12:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think u guys r both right in way the shidduch thing sucks in another way its a great system

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page