Sunday, February 19, 2006



The blind leading the blind

This weekend being my last Shabbos in NY, was also my last Shabbos working at HASC. I've been working there for nearly a year now and the fact that I don't know when, or if I'll be coming back made it all the more difficult leaving tonight. Besides for the obvious benefits gained with being involved in such work, working with the guys has enriched my life in smaller ways as well; I've learned to appreciate the finer things, the more subtle things in life and I'm going to miss that bi-weekly injection I've begun to take for granted.

On Motzei Shabbos it's up to the D.C.C (Direct Care counselor) to decide on what activity he'd like to do with guys for the evening. I wasn't sure where I wanted to take the guys, since it was so cold the options were more limited. I could take them to Manhattan, Times Square always keeps them well occupied and would distract them from the bitter cold, but I had too many wanderers tonight and couldn't take the chance in the big city. The parks would never work in this weather and I had no idea what to do with them.

I figured, we would just leave and hopefully I'll think of something as I'm driving around. We were driving in the van and I looked behind me to see how the guys were doing. They all looked content, rocking their heads back and forth with the rhythm of the music, excited that they were out on an outing. Little did they know that, I, the one who arranges their trip had no idea where we were headed, it didn't even occur to them, after all as their counselor I had to know where we were going. I laughed to myself, while silently thanking G-d for their naivety and innocence.

As I continued driving it dawned on me, am I really that different? I do the same thing.
How many times in life has it occurred that a dream, or a hopeful vision once acquired turned out to be nothing of what was expected? My imagination has still not run dry and I would never stop dreaming.
How many times have you gone to people seeking advice and guidance and by the time the conversation was over, the tables had turned and the student had become the mentor (I'm not referring to friends, but to people who's roles are to be leaders)? I keep returning to these same people in times of trouble.
How many times have people come to you hoping for some extra strength, at a point in your life when you yourself are halfway off the cliff? That never stopped me from trying to help.
We're no different, we too follow people or things without knowing the final destination or if this is the correct path leading towards it.

Coming out of Toys 'R Us with 6 giddy happy guys in tow, still excited by all the toys and games (and dolls) they had seen and got to play with, I realized it's not always about the vision. Even when life is not completely mapped out, you have to chug on, you can't be afraid, because things usually do end up ok. Planning and foresight is encouraged and expected and although things won't always turn out as you planned, it still remains, as G-ds plan.

Blind following the blind?

I don’t think so. There's a divine map to the world, perfect vision.

8 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Suma said...

Nice post..

I think one of the big disappointments in life.. at least for me.. is when I got older and REALLY could use some "wisdom" and security from my parents is when I realized that I was their "backbone" and their mentor..

I learned to exept the fact that when it boils down to it.. It's just me and Gd..

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger RBT said...

There is a saying that goes "man plans, G-d laughs." When i was young I had a whole master plan. Things don't work out the way you thought they would. But you take the things life hands you, and try and make the best of it.
I'm sure most peole think life will be perfec, but its not. I have a brother with Autism, and I've learned, G-d only gives things to people who can handle it, and we come out stronger in the process.

 
At 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another thought provoking post.
It can get really scary sometimes when you think about how really nothing is in your control, it's all in G-d's hands. And its when that really hits you that you start your real relationship with Hashem, because you realize how much your entire being relies on Him.

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

Hey manhattan thanks. The fact that it's you and G-d can be very empowering, no need to have to come to terms with it.
I hear you about the parents, I can imagine the disappointment. I was a rebel as a teen and thought my parents didn't know anything. So even though they may need my help at times, I'm still realizing that there's lot of wisdom there that only time and experience can bring.

dating virgin, I do remember, but I'm not sure what you mean by your second sentence.

rbr, I see you can make lemonade out of your lemons. Not just cooking gourmet are we chef? I think there's a great source of comfort we can and should draw out of our daily life experiences. Which brings us back to sensitivity, back to prayer.

Hello miss schoolgirl with the greatest voice ever to perform at a Beis Rivka production. That's a pretty thought provoking comment yourself. If I may input, a lot of things still do remain in our hands and we have to acknowledge that and sometimes put up a fight to do the right thing. Because that is what G-d created us for, that's what he wants.
Any ideas for a good birthday present?

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Chasidishe Shaigitz said...

Great post.
Nice example of blind faith and so much to learn from it, definately something to farbi about.
g'luck in SDiego I''m sure you will do great, and if you do decide to check out hawaii I got all the info you need (did some shlichous time there last year)
Bon voyage!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Good post,I hate to plan long inadvance for this exact reason.
We need to learn to know when to stop thinking and let H'ashem help us.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok first of all
lev thanks for everything, and best of luck with everything the future holds.
Now i noticed dating virgin's second comment was unclear, i think its rather simple - they ARE and Were in the same position as us, thinking their parents should know it all, be perfect etc and it was just as devistating for them as it might of been for us to realize "parents" are only human and even they can make mistakes and maybe even learn a wee bit from their kids.
now on to RBR...people don't think life will be perfect, u just think they do, b/c u might of had little issues and the grass is always greener on the other side. no one has a perfect life, but still a person can be happy, content and accepting of G-ds master plan, trust me G-d has the funniest sence of humor out there, puts me to shame. he has thrown me so many curve balls, i think all u could do is turn to G-d, smile and say, "u..ur good."
in general experience has taught me, dont think into why G-d did this or why something happened, concentrate on how to deal witht the current, overcome it, and get ready for the next thing.
I think people think too much, including me, life does not have to be sooo complicated, i think everything needs thought, but there has to be more action.
G-d has his plans, everything Is not only for the best but the thing itself (which might seemingly appear to be bad) is for ur best interest...with this in mind and if you accept this i guarantee you total happiness, you will see that things DO work out, and someone upstairs knows best.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

wow... I worked in Camp HASC, which is a little different. Every once in a while I would get a similiar feeling. Like they trust us and we don't even trust ourselves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page