Tuesday, February 14, 2006



I lack intimacy

I don’t make such a claim because of the fact that I’m a single guy and have never been intimate with a woman. I’m not referring to sexual intimacy. I’m referring to the feeling and state of intimacy which is in every single person’s hands.
I’m referring to prayer.
Every person can pray, most people do, but the vast majority of people don't get out of prayer the potential that prayer has within, to transform them, to help them evolve into the G-dly beings they inherently are.
I personally have been struggling with proper prayer for what seems like my entire life. It’s always the same; at the beginning of Shmonah Esrei I say to myself, “Today I’m going to have kavanah on my davening, at least the translation of the words”. I start, Blessed are you, Lord our G-d and G-d of our fathers, G-d of Avraham, G-d of Yitzchok and G-d of Yakkov… When I space back in I’m usually holding by Seem Shalom at the end of Shmonah Esrei.
I know I’m not the only one and I know it’s almost expected.
There’s a cute story of a chossid of the Rebbe Rashab who had an impending court date regarding certain claims his landlord had made against him. He came into the Rebbe for yechidus, hoping to get some legal advice from him. He began discussing the case with the Rebbe and he asked, “what if my landlord says such and such, how should I respond”? So the Rebbe told him what to say. He asked him about another possible scenario and the Rebbe again advises him what to say. The dialogue continued in the same vein with him asking and the Rebbe responding with appropriate advice. After this went on for a while the Rebbe interrupted him and said, “There's no need to worry so much. Unlike you, the Poretz doesn’t daven Shmonah Esrei 3 times a day.”
Prayer is an integral part of the teachings of Chassidus; it seems unfortunate then that prayer is never taught as part of the education curriculum, in schools which were founded on the teachings of Chassidus. I actually approached a number of the spiritual leaders in our community, both in Brooklyn and abroad and inquired as to why they don’t teach us how to daven. I asked, “Why is it that you’ll teach us a maimer about what we should meditate on during tefilah, but you never teach us what meditation is all about”? It’s usually the same response, a smile, a rub on the cheek and a comment along the lines of, “You know Vintage, you have a very sensitive neshama”.
Am I mentally handicapped? Because that’s the way we were taught to respond to the guys we work with at HASC.
I used learn with one of my chavrusas in Hadar Hatorah. Hadar Hatorah is a school for Balei Teshuvah; most of them pretty fresh BTs. People always asked me why I would learn there instead of in 770 (supposedly learning in 770 is better for Shiduchim, something I have trouble believing). I would always answer that the energy that the guys are infused with over there is so powerful it can give me strength for the entire day (and it isn’t as noisy as 770).
One day I was sitting in the Yeshivah learning and there was a guy standing next to me finishing his davening. It seems like he had just taken on the resolution to put on a second pair of Tefilin every day and today was his first day of putting on Rabeinu Tams Tefilin and he was especially flying. He finished davening and started taking off his Tefilin, he has a huge smile on his face, the kind of face a father has seeing his firstborn for the first time.
He calls out to one of the Rabbi's who was sitting by the next table, he says, “Rabbi, did you hear the story with the chossid (pronounced Chaseed) and the Rebbe (pronounced rebee)”? Without waiting for a response he starts telling the story. “A chossid went into the Rebbe for a meeting. He say’s “Rebbe, I don’t feel like a Chossid, I go to the mikvah, I learn Chassidus, I daven, I try to act like a Chossid, but I just don’t feel like one”. And the Rebbe answered him, “if you want to feel like a chossid, look inside the siddur when you daven”.” “You hear that Rabbi”? He finished. “The Rebbe said you have to know what your praying if you want to feel like a chossid. It’s incredible”.
Prayer is what should make us care. Prayer is where our relationship with our creator is at its most intimate setting. Its you, him and nothing else.
I lack intimacy.

18 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger Suma said...

Great article.. It looks like your hanging out with YY Jacobson lately.. this is his big thing..

I once put on Rashi's.. daavened.. then put on Rabeinu tams and daavened all over again.. it didn't register till after.. it's some kinda auto-drive..

I find that chassidus faren daavening could help some.. but I am still on a search for a vehicle without auto-drive..

Oh and another thing that helped me once or twice was the new siddur.. since it has a whole new format it forces you to look inside and pay attention or else you will get totally lost..

Good luck!

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how much this has to do with your article.. but I'm almost finished learning the Maamer B. L'gani.. greeat maamer!! I see why it was a hit!

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

Thank you Manhattan for your wishes, but I beg to disagree; this is not one of Rabbi Y.J's "big things".
Intimacy? Yes.
Prayer? No.
He was one of the community leaders I had approached. I asked him countless times to focus on the subject and although he promised to spend some time on it with the class, he never came through.
Forsure Chassidus before davening will help, but how do we internalize it?
Chassidus teaches us to do it through hisbonenus. Do you know how to be misbonen the Chassidus that you learn? I'm learning, but I've never been taught and most people don't know the first thing about it.
Thanks for commenting.

 
At 2:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you want to learn all about hisbonenos ..
learn the mittler rebbe mamorim
on shar hayichud vehaemunah
good luck

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Dovid said...

First of all, let me commend you on an awesome post. you had me laughing twice (first about the intimacy, and then with your teachers' responses) and thinking the whole way through.

Here's a tip. Try to focus on something davening related. (remember in camp when they ask you to count the gimmel's?) For example, think about a tune. I try davening with the Rebbe's tune, so I focus on the davening, and once I focus, I can also concentrate on the meaning of the words, etc.

So, where will you be tomorrow night?

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Baruch said...

Hi, great blog....

It would be hard to find someone that dosn't struggle with davening. I guess it isn't called 'avoida' for nothing! But I love the way you put it. I never thought of it that way (as intimacy) and I agree with you 100 percent.

I feel like I rarely ever daven because I think that to daven means to talk to someone. And that means that you actually feel that your talking to someone -If you were talking to a friend and you noticed that you've lost their attention no doubt you would stop immediately- And in my 'davening' that feeling of communication comes very very rarely. (I just thought of a good example. Even as I write this on your blog and I have no idea who you are, I know that I am not rambling in vein because I see that you respond to all those who comment on your site. So I know that you will most probably respond and even if you don't I know that you will read it. So perhaps if we were more sensitive to hasgacha pratis - that Hashem responds to us, then there would be a heck lot more to talk to him about.)

Have you ever read "My Prayer"? I found it very helpful to know what all the parts of davening are all about. Perhaps then it would be easier to apply the maamer to the devening after we know what we are supposed to apply it to.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

Me too.

*Sigh*

Me too.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Saad said...

Thanks for sharing yourself with us - raw and real.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

Anonymous, I have a feeling I would need some help learning any of the Miteler Rebbe's Maimorim. Would you like to volunteer?

Hey Dovid, I like the niggun idea; I plan on working on that together with the meditation. Which niggun of the Rebbe are you referring to?
If there's a party I'll be there. :-)

Stoner!! Yo, if you’re going to bust in on my date in the future, please, give me a heads up. To be honest the intimacy I described in the post is the one I'm seeking now. Amen.

Welcome bal tshuker and thanks for commenting.
“I think that to daven means to talk to someone. And that means that you actually feel that your talking to someone"
Well said, I believe that true davening will make you feel like your talking to G-d, it will make you see Hashgacha Pratis in everything, it should transform you. I think that they reflect one another, the feelings and the prayer. If you work on one, it will strengthen the other.
I've read My Prayer, but without personal application, more academically and to be able to teach.

Mimi, just found your blog. It's a wellspring of inspiration and stimulation. Yes, I miss Tzvat very much and you capture the finer pints of it very well.

Thanks saad.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Dovid said...

VJ, I meant using the Rebbe's tfilah niggun. If you watch Davening With The Rebbe, you'll pick it up in no time. And it's good for three things: a) As i said, it calls your attention to the words, making it much easier to concentrate on pirush hamilos. B) It makes sense. it's almost a conversational tune, and it fits the words, and it flows with the pirus hamilos (Unlike the ashrei tune...). C) It's the Rebbe's tune, so I guess it's an inyan of hiskashrus too. maybe.

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vintage, I have a few suggestions for you to help your davening.
1. When you start Shemonah Esrai ask Hashem for help to daven.
2. There is a very special Sefer by Rav Shimshon Pinkas called Nefesh Shimshon. It is very hard to find outside of Israel but is worth the effort.
3. Take your time and talk to Hashem in whatever language you are most comfortable in.

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

Dovid, I'm going to check out the video to see what you’re referring to.

Kahaneloyalist, thanks for the suggestions. Regarding the first, I already do that with the introductory sentence of Shmonah Esrei- Hashem Tifosai...
I'll see if I can get my hands on the book.
I love the third suggestion and I'm going to do it more often.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger RBT said...

I have today this is a big challenge for me as well. It doesn't help that i daven on the train on the way to work, but its something that has always been hard for me. I think a part of it is because we've gotten so used to the words, that we can read most of them by heart without even looking in the siddur, and this kind of breaks the connection. I remember, as a little kid, I think 8 or so, i was once davening Ashrei and I started crying because i really was davening. I wish I could go back to the time when I felt that connection.

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, really great post. A couple suggestions that I heard:
1) (this one has to be cleared with a rav first, it's an individual thing.) One day, instead of davening the regular way, daven ONLY in English, from an English siddur. Just concentrate on enjoying the davening and really understanding and meaning what you're saying. It gives your davening a whole new chayus. I know a yeshiva boy who was going "off-the-derech." the mashpia in his school told him to try this, and the boy said he never felt such a thing in his life. Today he's on his way back.
2) Before starting Baruch She'amar, just sit for a few minutes and think about everything Hashem gives you. Don't start davening until the enormity of it hits you, then try to keep that feeling with you throughout davening.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

RBR, I can relate completely, davening has become monotonous.
Manhattan had a good suggestion; he davens from the new siddur and the new format keeps him focused. Though for those of us that have the problem of knowing it by heart the only answer I can come up with is focusing on the meaning of the words.
When I get to Cali I'm going to try to learn and put into practice some material I found on davening, I'll post up anything I find that’s helpful.

That takes a lot of maturity for such a young child to recognize the significance that davening has. I also cried by davening when I was 8 years old, but I cried because I wanted to go out and play...

Thanks anonymous, I like the ideas. Interestingly enough I actually tried the first suggestion as a mid-adolescent, and it worked, it had a tremendous impact on me, maybe its time for another dose. Thank you.

imfullofit, I've wondered, are girls taught about the depth of davening at all as part of your curriculum? Based on all the writings of the Previous Rebbe that I've read, it's obvious that prayer is a big thing by chassidim in general, but I've never read any story's about women working on avodah.

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all I have to say that what is going on here is really amazing. I don't know about the rest of you but just reading this post and conversation has made my davening a little better. My davening is so by rote and usually kavanaless. Everyday I get on the train, take out my siddur and read or say the words, I'm not even conscience of what my lips are doing let alone my brain. Davening with Kavanah is doing something different, and I need to constantly be reminded which is exactly what is happening here, it's beautiful Would'nt it be cool for Kavanah to be a habit, is it even possible?

Vintage, not every girls school has the same curriculum but I did have some prayer classes in High School which were not very good or really considered important classes. In Seminary Rabbi Friedman taught us about davening as an optional class and as always it was an amazing class.

About Woman and avodah, we actually learn about kavanah from Chanah. She went to daven for a son and was pouring out her soul to such an extent that Eli thought she was drunk.

Keep the inspiration flowing, I feel like this is the newest form of fabrenganing.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Esther said...

both the post and the comments here are inspiring and enriching. thanks!
it is ironic that we have such a tough time davening- one of the major original differences btw chassidim and misnagdim was the focus on tefilla as opposed to learning. look how far we have fallen since then!

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger vintage jeans said...

Thanks for the comment ano. Your inspiration is catchy and if kavanah itself can't be a habbit then we should be able to get into the habbit of working for it.

Wandering, it's true, we have to recure the things that are important to us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page